Protect Yourself in the Event of a Mistake
Occasionally it happens - you forget to record a transaction or you miscalculate a balance. Overdraft Protection is designed to help you in times of need. First Bank offers the following Overdraft Protection options:
Overdraft Transfer Accounts
Overdraft Transfer Accounts use funds from up to two separate checking, savings or money market accounts to fund your checking account if it becomes overdrawn.
Preferred Credit is a fixed-rate, unsecured revolving line of credit that is accessible through your checking account when the account is overdrawn. An automatic fund transfer occurs to protect your account should it becomes overdrawn.
Overdraft Privilege authorizes First Bank to pay certain transactions presented against an insufficient checking account balance. You must opt in if you would like First Bank to pay ATM withdrawals and everyday debit card transactions. There is a fee associated with this product.
If your account is overdrawn $5.01 or more for 10 or more consecutive business days, we may assess a one-time overdraft fee of $40.00. Insufficient fund charges are limited to a maximum of five per day.
Frequently Asked Questions
"What transactions will be covered?"
Overdraft Transfer - Check, ACH, bill payment, transfer, in-person withdrawal, one-time recurring debit card payments, ATM withdrawals
- Preferred Credit - Check, ACH, bill payment, transfer, in-person withdrawal, one-time recurring debit card payments, ATM withdrawls
- Overdraft Privilege - Check, ACH, bill payment, transfer, in-person withdrawal, recurring debit card payments (For ATM withdrawals and everyday debit card transactions to be paid, you'll need to provide us authorization through our opt-in process
"What costs could I incur?"
"How do I register for one of the three products?"
"How do I repay the advance?"
"How do I cancel the service/product?"
"How can I more effectively manage my account to avoid overdraft situations?"
- Register for online banking and mobile banking to regularly monitor your balances and transaction activity.
- Set email and text alerts to notify you when your account falls below a pre-selected balance level.
- Record every transaction that you make into your check register.
- Balance your account statement monthly.
- Quickly make a deposit to cover overdraft fees when your account is overdrawn.
Terms and Conditions
Savings and Money Market accounts are subject to Federal Regulations which limit transactions. Please refer to the Deposit Account Information Brochure for more information. First Bank will have the discretion to pay overdrafts within the Overdraft Privilege limit, but payments by First Bank is a discretionary courtesy and not a right of the customer or an obligation of First Bank to create an agreement or course of dealing on our part to allow overdrafts on any occasion. For ATM withdrawals and everyday debit card transactions to be paid, you’ll need to provide us authorization through our Opt-in process.